We, in FamilyLife, think it’s super important to keep dating your spouse long after the wedding is over! Having regular dates helps couples stay connected, gives time to really communicate and reminds us to have a little fun!
Dates can look different for every couple, so whether you’re artsy or sporty or a self-professing foodie – we have options! And if schedules and budgets tend to get in the way, how about planning a date night IN?
We know it’s easy to get stuck for ideas – and we’re here to help!
Get a Little Silly
- Head to the carnival for childhood faves including cotton candy the ferris wheel.
- Can’t make it out? Play a classic board game with great snacks.
- Make the date a competition – whether it’s bowling or pac-man earn points, complete with a prize.
- Head to the park – swing sets and slides aren’t just for kids, y’know!
For the Foodies
- Tired of overcrowded restaurants in the evening? How about brunch!
- Take a cooking class at a local restaurant or chef school.
- Eating local is all the rage, so why not go apple picking or gather your own eggs at a local farm.
- Grow your own food in a community garden – plant and tend it together.
- Hitting the water can include so many things – paddleboarding, canoeing or join a rowing club together.
- Like to workout? Go to a bootcamp or do PX90 at home.
- Join a fun colour run event, or sign up for a muddy obstacle challenge together, or go for a walk.
- Cheer on your favourite sports team, at home our out.
For the Artists Among Us
- Check out your local library or bookstore for author readings.
- Visit an art gallery, museum or attend a concert or play.
- Take a sculpting or drawing class together.
- Be a tourist in your town with your cameras in tow, see things through the lens!
Smarty Pants (ahem, academic is what we meant)
- Attend a debate at your local University.
- Learn a foreign language together and plan a trip for when you’ve mastered it!
- Wander through old bookstores looking for hidden gems.
- Cozy up by the fire and read your favourite classic novel aloud to each other.
- Head to the drive-in theatre and don’t forget the popcorn!
- Scope out your local diners and determine who really makes the best milkshake.
- Take a swing dance class together.
- Bowling is a classic – add a competitive angle or just play for fun.
- Picnics are a simple romantic date but your location is what counts! Find a secluded field, a mountaintop view, or your living room floor – for something different.
- Head to the spa for a couples’ massage.
- Stargazing – bonus points if you have a telescope and can name some constellations.
- Take a kite to the beach and enjoy the sound of the waves and a sunset walk.
What’s fun for the two of you is going to be different than other couples! Find your thing and spend time enjoying it together.
If you have an entire weekend to spend together, consider one of our Weekend Getaways! They have teaching, connecting, and fun built right into the entire weekend (Psst – you don’t interact with other couples). Check our website for dates and locations near you!