Every couple’s story is a unique expression of God’s love and grace. It’s their eyewitness account of how God has worked in their life and marriage. And so it becomes a witness to the good news of God at work to make us like Jesus.
To discover your story, discuss the questions below as a couple and take notes as you go. This will help you mine out those nuggets that become the key elements of your story.
- How did you meet? What attracted you to each other? What is a fun, crazy, or unique part of your relationship?
- Describe your feelings about each other and your relationship. Was it love at first sight?
- What were some of your expectations for married life? Expectations for your partner?
- What did your relationship revolve around? How did your relationship feed your security, identity or happiness?
- What unexpected challenges or disappointments started to emerge?
- What were the early signs that things were not moving in the right direction?
- Looking back, what would you say contributed to the difficulties?
Calming the Storm
- What helped turn things around? Were there turning points? Was it more of a process?
- What motivated you to work on your relationship rather than to leave it or settle for unhappiness? Why did you stay together?
Up Next – Shape Your Story